AKA Green Chili Chicken w/ Rice
- 1 cans Green Chili Enchilada Sauce (or home made of course) I used to use Hatch’s Medium but have changed to 505 Green Chili Sauce. Either option works fine.
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes
- Mexican spices to your taste, (chili powder, cumin)
- 1 cloves garlic (smashed and diced)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 – 4 oz can’s green chili’s
- 1/4 – 1/2 c. chicken or veg broth
- 2 cups package, shredded Cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 1 package of 10 (or so) burrito size Tortilla, flour
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 x 13 Pan. Feeds 4-6 depending on other side dishes.
- Microwave Spanish rice using packing directions & special directions above.
- Prepare your chicken by either using a store bought cooked chicken or grill your own.
- Shred or cut into small pieces.
- Combine in a large skillet tomatoes, 1 can green chili, garlic, cumin, onions & tomatoes stir and simmer, add chicken and chicken broth as needed for moistness and to de-glaze the plan.
- Place a large spoonful of chicken mixture 1 of rice & 1 of shredded cheese.
- Roll up and place in a greased 9 X 13 pan.( How full you want the enchiladas to be, etc., is up to you. ) Repeat till pan is full.
- Pour green chili sauce and shredded cheese over the top.
Place in oven for about 30 minutes or so.
The cheese should be melted and bubbling.
My extra daughter Heather (one of my youngest daughter’s best friend that ”lived” at our house, always requests this dish for any and all special occasions. Love you Heather!
GLUTEN FREE OPTION: Use Corn Tortilla’s instead of Flour Tortillas and chose gluten free versions of the other ingredients. 505 Green Chili Sauce is Gluten Free – ” we use rice flour as a binder where necessary, not wheat.” The Mahatma Spanish rice is wheat free.
Check the glutenfreechecklist.com for more information