After visiting your local Farmers Market you should be able to have all of the ingredients for a fabulous Grilled Corn Salsa with a little California twist.
Summer grilling of fresh vegetables bringing your family together.
- 6 ears of Olathe Sweet Corn,
- 2 Poblano Peppers,
- 1 Jalapeno or Anaheim Pepper (optional)
- 1 bunch of cilantro (optional)
- 1 red pepper (optional)
- 1 red onion
- 1 Tbsp local honey
- Juice of one fresh lime juice
- 2 avocado’s (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your grill on to medium to preheat.
- Leave the husks on the corn and soak them in water. Remove the silks but leave the husks on. The water trapped inside the husks steams the sweet corn for the most amazing results. . it’s ok if they look burned.. it will be fabulous! Grill on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place your peppers on the grill for 15 minutes or until they are blistered. Take them off the grill and immediately put them in a plastic bag. This makes it much easier to take the outside skins off. After a few minutes in the bag, peel the skins off, pull off the stem and the inside membranes and chop.
- Chop the red onion and cilantro finely.
- Shuck the cooled corn and hold either on the top of a bunt pan like the video shows or with a smaller bowl inverted into a bigger bowl and slice the kernels off of the corn cob.
- Into the bowl of corn, combine all of the ingredients of choice above. If you love avocado chop it in the skin into cubes and add at the last minute so it keeps its shape.
- Spread tortilla chips on a baking sheet and heat at 400 for 3 minutes. Even if your chips are a little stale this will make them taste fresh, crispy and hot.
- You can even eat this with a spoon it’s so wonderful.
- To round out your meal brush olive oil and season salt and pepper your protein of choice and grill it after you take the corn and peppers off.
Roasted Corn on the Cob with Cilantro Lime Butter
6 ears corn, shucked
Cilantro Lime Butter, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Coat each ear of corn in 2 tablespoons of the cilantro lime butter and wrap individually in foil. Roast until hot and steaming, about 25 minutes. Serve with extra butter on the side.
Cilantro Lime Butter:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Put the butter in a mixing bowl and, using a rubber spatula, mix in the cilantro, lime zest, lime juice, salt and cayenne.
- Use immediately or refrigerate.
Yield: 3/4 cup