Looking for a skinnier version of a chimichanga than what you can find in your favorite Mexican Restaurant? This might be the perfect solution for you.
If you are looking for a lower fat choice, give this recipe a try and let me know what you thought.
Skinny Chicken Chimi’s
Easy Skinny Mexican Chimichangas Recipe
- ½ pound chopped cooked rotisserie chicken
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (8-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped mild green chiles
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced-fat mexican cheese blend
- 4 (8-inch) fat-free multi grain tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400º. Spread canola oil on a paper towel and grease cookie sheet lightly
- Add 1 tsp canola oil in a skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, chili powder,oregano, and cumin.
- Cook, until onions start to caramelize, add the chicken, stir until the chicken is heated through.
- Stir in the tomatoes and the chiles, bring to a boil.
- While the flavors are melding wrap the tortillas in foil or a tortilla warmer and place in oven to warm.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- To construct the Chimi’s
- Spoon about ½ cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling.
- Place the chimichangas seam-side down on the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the tortillas with oil.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Do not turn.
- Smother with Green Chili or your favorite salsa, shredded lettuce, fresh tomatoes, & low fat Sour Cream.
Serve with Fresh Guacamole Or Grilled Corn Salsa
A Lite Beerita would also be the perfect accompaniment to this tasty Mexican meal.