This breakfast spinach egg wrap recipe takes a little more time than coffee and a donut at Starbucks but it will be worth the extra effort.
Making wonderful breakfast burritos is pretty easy but managing to make them a bit healthier than the usual sausage eggs and potatoes recipe is a little bit more challenging…
Unless you use the miracle fresh vegetable that packs in the nutrition without really changing much of the taste or consistency of the final product. SPINACH!
The Breakfast Spinach Egg Wrap Recipe was born!
This wrap recipe has lots of steps so be sure to read the entire thing before you start.
Spinach Egg Wrap Ingredients
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (I use Boulder Sausage or Polidori Sausage both local clean Colorado brands)
- 1/2 onion (your favorite, I use red onions)
- 1 pepper (your favorite color, I like red, orange & yellow)
- 1/2 carton of mushrooms
- 1 tsp Canola oil
- Hashbrowns (Whichever ones you love, I prefer the Simply Potatoes brand) prepare using package directions
- Fresh Spinach (1 tub from the grocery store)
- 4 oz of Low Fat Neufchatel cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I like the 4 cheese Mexican blend or pepper jack)
- 1 large can green chilis or 1/2 cup of 505 green chili sauce. You can also add a jalapeno if you like a bit more spice.
Chopped fresh spinach pretty much disappears into any liquid you combine it with so sometimes even the most decadent tasty items can at least leave you a little bit less guilty with the addition of this superfood.
Start out by browning the sausage in a cast iron skillet over medium heat and drain well. (If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, invest in a Lodge! A little more expensive but you’ll be able to hand it down to your grandkids.
Prepare the hash browns according to the directions on the package (You can make hash browns from scratch or use leftover potatoes)
- Combine hash browns and sausage in skillet and set aside.
- Chop onion, peppers, and mushrooms add green chile’s and saute on medium heat in 1 tsp Canola oil until tender.
- Crack 12 eggs into the pan with the sauteed veggies and stir gently scraping the sides and bottom of the large non-stick skillet.
- OPTIONAL (Discard 1/2 of the egg yolks if you are watching your cholesterol and fat intake and nuke them for your pets)
- As eggs start to cook add chopped spinach.
- Add shredded and cream cheese.
- Combine the egg mixture, hash browns, and sausage. Cook on low heat for a few minutes to allow all the flavors to blend and the cheeses to melt.
Place 3 tablespoons of the mixture in the center of each wrap and secure like you would a burrito or egg roll.
This recipe makes a dozen spinach egg wraps.
After they cool a bit I place each wrap in a square of waxed paper and place them into a freezer bag or container.
This will give you 12 mornings worth of a quick high protein, high nutrition, low carb breakfasts.
To reheat just take out the individually wrapped Spinach egg wraps and heat in the microwave covered for 60 – 90 seconds.
This is a time-consuming breakfast recipe that I only do about once a month although my husband wishes he had these Spinach egg breakfast wraps every morning.