Have leftover Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey? This recipe might have you roasting a turkey once a month just for an excuse to have this yummy Mexican treat.
Turkey and Black Bean Empanadas Recipe
- Left over turkey (about 2 to 3 cups shredded)
- 1 (15-ounce) can Bush’s black beans, drained & lightly smashed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese Mexican 5 cheese or your favorite
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can green chili’s
- 2 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crusts
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine turkey, black beans, both cheeses, salsa, cilantro, and cumin. Mix well to combine.
Unroll pie crusts onto a flat surface. Using 4-inch biscuit cutter, cut out Circles. Spoon mixture on 1/2 of circle, fold over and pinch the edges together with a fork to seal. Place on a large baking sheet. Cut small slits in the tops of each empanada, brush with evoo or butter. Bake for 15 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
*If you have one of those Cool Pampered Chef circle cutter and sealer things and you have never used it… It works PERFECT for these and no one will believe you made them.
Note: You can also use bread that you have cut the crusts off of as mini sealed sandwiches